Unfortunately, Congress is considering legislation that would flatline refugee resettlement funding at last year's levels. This is unacceptable as the arrivals are anticipated to be 100,000, compared to the 75,000 refugees planned for last year. Strong welcome and integration support for new arrivals requires adequate funding. Congress holds the purse and Members need to hear from their constituents that they support refugee resettlement.
We call on President Obama and the U.S. Congress to lead by example in three ways:
1. Increase refugee resettlement
2. Ensure adequate funding for international assistance and U.S. refugee resettlement
3. Stop detaining and deporting Central American refugees, and instead ensure they have full access to protection and asylum
CALL YOUR SENATOR & REPRESENTATIVE TODAY, September 6, 2016
1-866-940-2439 - Representative
1-866-961-4293 - Senators
Click this link to let us know how your calls went.
Here’s a sample script of what to say (Feel free to adapt using your own words):
- I support refugee resettlement and want to see the U.S. resettle more refugees.
- I urge Congress to increase funding for refugee assistance internationally and refugee resettlement in the U.S.
- The U.S. should stop detaining and deporting Central American refugees, and should instead ensure they have full, meaningful access to protection and asylum.
The Interfaith Immigration Coalition, of which FAN is a member, have been promoting and urging signatures on these postcards with the same message. Click here to sign one electronically and have your voice added to the delivery at a press conference in front of the Capitol Building on Thursday, September 15th.