In 1989, Ecumenical Patriarch Dimitrios I proclaimed September 1 as a day of prayer for creation (Creation Day) which was embraced by the other major Christian European churches in 2001 and by Pope Francis for the Roman Catholic Church in 2015. Many Christian churches have started celebrating the “Season of Creation” (also known as Creation Time) between that date and October 4, the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi, Patron Saint of Ecology.
As a step in the efforts to answer these and other community directives, the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia, members of the Franciscan Action Network, have compiled this list of online resources for use during the Season of Creation month. We invite you to look through them and adapt as necessary.
- We urge you to watch the invitation of Pope Francis and others at Season of Creation website.
- Support the Pope’s Ecological Call and sign the Catholic Climate Change Petition.
- Pray the Rosary (This one developed by FAN).
- Pray with Pope Francis “A Prayer for the Earth.” See it on video and you’ll love it!
- You may even want to check out the online course on Laudato Si. Begin September 1 and reflect on a chapter each week until October 4, the Feast of St. Francis.