FAN hosted multiple events to support the pope's visit to Washington DC in September, 2015. We invited people to join us in supporting him, his message, and increasing public awareness of the issues he spoke on by participating in one or all of the events listed below.
1. Catholic Climate Petition (Now until November 30) - Petiton endorsed by Pope Francis being signed to call on global leaders to take action on climate change.
2. #KochVsPope In-district Listening Sessions (Beginning in August) - A series of in-district listening sessions where Catholic constituents introduced their Catholic lawmakers to Pope Francis’ call to Congressional action on Climate Change by presenting a cope of his encyclical, "Laudato Si."
3. Global #FastForClimate (Sept. 15-23) - FAN participated in a 10-day Global Solidarity Fast in conjunction with fasters at McPherson Square in Washington, DC. All of this was offered in advance of Yom Kippur and Pope Francis’ September address to a joint session of Congress.
4. Faith and Climate Briefing (Sept. 17) - A lunchtime briefing on the Faith dimensions of the Climate Crisis and the moral imperative to act. Speakers addressed opportunities for Republican lawmakers to confidently support corrective climate measures.
5. TAU Young Adult Gathering (Sept. 22-24) - Training in Faith Rooted organizing and Climate Change Communication for an ecumenical audience looking to join a network and assist in activities surrounding the Pope’s visit.
6. Interfaith Climate Vigil (Sept. 23) - Interfaith Vigil in advance of the Pope’s morning address to a Joint session of Congress as well as an opportunity for collective atonement for ecological sins and calls to action.
7: Gathering to Support Pope’s Message to Congress (Sept. 24) - A rally and March/pilgrimage for those who sought to provide public support for the Pope’s impending message to Congress. Jumbo-trons and a stage were erected on the National Mall where speakers (including FAN's Patrick Carolan) and music acts supported the Pope's address in celebratory fashion.