We have three days for shopping and getting deals- Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday. Giving Tuesday, is a day for giving back. People all over the country are creating a new ritual for our annual calendar. Giving Tuesday is the opening day of the giving season: a reminder of the "reason for the season." This year, FAN is participating in a uniquely Franciscan way.
Occurring this year on November 28, Giving Tuesday is held annually on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving and is quickly becoming the widely recognized kick off to the holiday giving season. The day is meant to inspire people to collaborate in improving their local communities and to give back in impactful ways to the charities and causes they support.
As Franciscans, we strive to live our lives with minimal impact on our environment. We look to care for all of God’s creation as St. Francis did, through prayer, personal commitment and transformation. This Giving Tuesday we are challenging our members and friends with a campaign we call #LiveSimplyGiveSimply.
We challenge each of our members to think of one thing they will do to begin to live more simply. We have some ideas listed below to get you started. On #GivingTuesday, follow these three simple steps:
- Post your #LiveSimplyGiveSimply idea on our social media pages and tag us. Fb: FranciscanActionNetwork or Twitter: @FranciscanNet
- Give simply by donating $10 to the Franciscan Action Network so we can continue to inspire others to Live Simply
- Challenge 5 of your friends on social media to follow in your footsteps and participate in the #LiveSimplyGiveSimply campaign
Change happens one person at a time, but transformation of a community can happen like ripples in a pond. What will you do to #LiveSimply?
It sounds easy but to begin to live more simply, first identify what’s most important to you. The next step is the tough one. After you’ve determined what is most important to you, eliminate everything else. To help you get started, we offer this list as a guide to get you thinking of what you can do to live more simply. There are many more resources online.
- Get a basic cell phone
- Cut out/down your cable
- Declutter your home
- Smile more
- Eat less meat
- Manage stress
- Dump negative thinking
- Forgive and forget
- Take a walk in nature
- Learn about the abundance of ways to share
- Turn off the lights in unoccupied rooms
- Take shorter showers
- Clean out your room and donate games or clothing that you no longer use
- Ride your bike and get more outdoor exercise
- Pray or meditate
- Create a budget
- Pause for 10 minutes a day to be present and grateful
- Don’t bring your cell phone to bed with you